Security Cameras

More
20 Mar 2012 09:46 #1325 by abbysselfstorage
abbysselfstorage created the topic: Security Cameras
Our storage facility in California has color security cameras, we were told cameras had to be in color to stand up in court, but now we are looking at replacing some of them with night vision cameras that don't show color at night. Our question is, will these videos stand up in court since they won't be in color?

Thanks for your reply

the photo is of myself, Kathleen and Nadine we both take care of the 5.5 acre facility. I live onsite with my husband and our security dog Lila.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2012 10:04 #1326 by ams
ams replied the topic: Security Cameras
Good morning, not sure why cameras would have to be in color to stand up in court.

Was it the security sales person who made that claim?

You should have zero problems introducing non-color video into evidence in court if needed.

Hopefully it will never be needed.

Advanced Mini Storage
advancedministorage.com

ron at advancedministorage.com

More
20 Mar 2012 10:09 #1327 by dirkwood
dirkwood replied the topic: Security Cameras

abbysselfstorage wrote: Our storage facility in California has color security cameras, we were told cameras had to be in color to stand up in court, but now we are looking at replacing some of them with night vision cameras that don't show color at night. Our question is, will these videos stand up in court since they won't be in color?

Thanks for your reply

Who even says you need to have camera's ?

More
20 Mar 2012 10:35 #1328 by ams
ams replied the topic: Re: Security Cameras

dirkwood wrote: Who even says you need to have camera's ?

Not sure why that is a question. No one needs cameras.

The question was about needing a color image to be admissible in court or would a black and white-grey scale image work.

Advanced Mini Storage
advancedministorage.com

More
20 Mar 2012 10:42 - 20 Mar 2012 10:46 #1329 by dirkwood
dirkwood replied the topic: Re: Security Cameras

ams wrote:

dirkwood wrote: Who even says you need to have camera's ?

Not sure why that is a question. No one needs cameras.

The question was about needing a color image to be admissible in court or would a black and white-grey scale image work.

Sorry but was finding the whole question difficult...as it is not even legally necessary to have camera's why would the court bother if they are in b/w or color ???
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2012 10:46 by dirkwood.

More
21 Mar 2012 15:08 #1333 by abbysselfstorage
abbysselfstorage replied the topic: Re: Security Cameras
Thank you all for your input, very helpful

the photo is of myself, Kathleen and Nadine we both take care of the 5.5 acre facility. I live onsite with my husband and our security dog Lila.

More
15 Jun 2012 02:50 #1520 by jackflaming
jackflaming replied the topic: Re: Security Cameras
Cameras are security equipments. Security of your self storage is more than mere necessity. Cameras have great role in the security. Don't know about others but I have cameras enabled at every corner of my self storage.

More
15 Jun 2012 05:25 - 15 Jun 2012 05:26 #1522 by dirkwood
camera's do help but mostly to see if they damage your facility or some does something against the rules and are also a advertising tool in my view unjustified.They are very limited in protection/security and to think they protect the customers from theft.They are easy to knock out or to put a sack over it and not making them work no more.
I regard manangers living on site,gate and fences,special locks,door alarms etc etc more important than cameras.
Last Edit: 15 Jun 2012 05:26 by dirkwood.

More
15 Jun 2012 13:57 #1523 by ams
We have on site managers, a large fence and door alarms, and now we also have cameras.

I just had fun installing 2 new wireless ip cameras that I picked up from newegg.com. We have an industrial Cisco wireless router that covers the whole facility, so I am looking forward to adding more. They were inexpensive cameras but I was surprised how far they have a clear focus. Much better than our wired ones.

As far as them being covered or knocked out, most systems have an alarm feature that can sound an alarm if they lose signal or they are blacked out either by covering or being painted.

Advanced Mini Storage
advancedministorage.com

More
15 Jun 2012 14:37 #1524 by dirkwood
I am interested to hear how you go with them.
I know from a few facilities who have wireless door alarms and they are very unhappy with it compare to the wired ones we have.

More
15 Jun 2012 14:43 #1525 by ams
I have never tried a wireless alarm, ours are all hardwired. Wireless equipment usually would have problems being close together, so I could see were there would be issues.

Advanced Mini Storage
advancedministorage.com

More
05 Mar 2016 20:36 - 05 Mar 2016 20:38 #1908 by cal
cal replied the topic: Re: Security Cameras
Can a storage company have any liability if they advertise video surveillance but the equipment is so antiquated that the video is useless.
Last Edit: 05 Mar 2016 20:38 by cal. Reason: extra words

More
09 Mar 2016 14:41 #1910 by ams

cal wrote: Can a storage company have any liability if they advertise video surveillance but the equipment is so antiquated that the video is useless.

Hi, I saw your post about your trailer. After you do your insurance claim, the best thing you can do is post an online review on Google and Yelp to warn others. To answer your question, you might want to talk to an attorney to see about the wording. "surveillance" may mean a monitored system, which the facility you dealt with was not monitored at all.

Advanced Mini Storage
advancedministorage.com

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds