Possible death of boat storage tenant in MD

More
12 Mar 2014 11:38 #1743 by ams
ams created the topic: Possible death of boat storage tenant in MD
via Contact form:

I operate a self-storage facility in Maryland. We have traditional self-storage on half the property and spaces for boats, RVs, vehicles, etc... on the other half. I have a tenant that is approaching 6 weeks of delinquency. He was on autopay and his credit card has expired. According to my gate activity records, he hasn't been on the property in years, and the poorly maintained condition of the boat further proves this to be the case. I have attempted contact by calling his cell phone (no messages returned), home phone (disconnected) and pager (no return call), multiple times. I cannot find an obituary online, however, I am going with the assumption that the tenant is deceased, though I will do further research to confirm this. My real question is do I hold an auction as I would do for a self-storage tenant in default? If so, am I allowed to clean the boat so it goes for a higher price? If law prohibits me from auctioning the boat and I am required to have it towed, is there a legal process I must go through in order to protect myself legally? Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advanced Mini Storage
advancedministorage.com

ron at advancedministorage.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2014 11:39 #1744 by ams
ams replied the topic: Re: Possible death of boat storage tenant in MD
Hello, if no one brings in a probate request or death certificate, you can no go on the assumption a tenant has passed away.

If all notices where sent by certified mail with return receipt requested at the proper time, you should be able to proceed with the sale. However, you should contact your local DMV or whoever takes car of vessel registration to see if there is special steps you need to take to sell the boat.

6 weeks is really not that long for a past due account. The lien amount is minimal compared to the value of the boat, (even though the boat may look in disrepair, the tenant still valued it enough to pay rent on it).

Ron

Advanced Mini Storage
advancedministorage.com

ron at advancedministorage.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds