Tenant Dies

More
14 Nov 2015 16:08 #1892 by ams
ams created the topic: Tenant Dies
via Contact form:

My friend passed away and was renting a mini warehouse unit in Horry County, South Carolina. My wife's name is on the contract for being able to enter the unit. Does the contents of the unit become hers. As of right now she is able to enter the unit but we haven't done so because we live in North Carolina. The person that passed intended for my wife to receive all of his posessions but we haven't found the will yet. We think the will may be in the warehouse unit. Thanks for your time.

Advanced Mini Storage
advancedministorage.com

ron at advancedministorage.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2015 00:58 #1898 by Brandle
Brandle replied the topic: Tenant Dies
Really sorry to hear about your loss mate. I think that most self storage facilities will need to see documentation in order to close everything up, but I'm sure the managers will be understanding when you explain the situation there. Is the issue whether the wife is allowed to handle the affairs for the storage unit or whether she should NOT be allowed? Best to check with that exact company to see what their policies are on this.

More
17 Nov 2015 08:02 #1899 by ams
ams replied the topic: Tenant Dies
Hello, sorry for your friend passing.

As for the name and contact information on rental agreements, those are normally just for a secondary address to try to contact the tenant if the account goes past due. If it was an alternate access, unless it is stated in the rental agreement, the alternate access becomes null and void upon the tenant's passing.

If the facility has learned about their tenant's passing, they may have locked out the unit and they will wait until they receive guidance if they are to release the property from a probate judge.

Hope this works out and sorry again.
Ron

Advanced Mini Storage
advancedministorage.com

More
21 Dec 2015 00:27 #1904 by Brandle
Brandle replied the topic: Tenant Dies
Hope you managed to solve the issues out with the storage unit man. Perhaps what can be done is to move all the items into another storage unit under the secondary owner's name so that at least the things don't get dumped and payments can still be kept up to date. It would be horrible to lose all the items in the storage unit in addition to the person before you had a chance to go through things. Sorry for your loss again too.

More
28 Jul 2016 00:33 #1914 by midlandboatr
midlandboatr replied the topic: Tenant Dies
Have you solve your issue? If not you need this Frequently Questions articles rvstoragetacoma.wordpress.com/2016/06/21...ently-ask-questions/

More
28 Jul 2016 17:30 #1915 by ams
ams replied the topic: Tenant Dies

midlandboatr wrote: Have you solve your issue? If not you need this Frequently Questions articles rvstoragetacoma.wordpress.com/2016/06/21...ently-ask-questions/

Hi, thanks for registering. this forum was shut down a last year after the death of one of the co-founders of the forum. Not sure how you got to it as we removed all links to the sight. I just have it on this sub-domain in case we ever think about re-activating it. :cheer:

Not really sure how you think your faq post would help someone in this situation. You might want to break it down into a few sections for easier access and viewing. I did not see any post for a non family member placing a claim on a deceased tenant's unit.

Thanks again
Ron

Advanced Mini Storage
advancedministorage.com

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds